Ghulam Abbas kamangar belongs to a renowned artist’s family of Karachi. He started his education in the arts and painting from his father, the late Yousuf Kamangar, and cousin, Qasim Kamangar, at the age of the 8 years and spent 14 years studying under them and learning figurative, landscape and flower paintings. Abbas Kamangar started his career as a fine artist in 1996 by participating in a group show and continued his journey in the field of art. He has participated in 39 national and international group shows. He also conducted many live demonstrations and workshops at Coopara Art Gallery (Lahore), Lawrence Garden (Lahore), Islamabad, Bahawalpur, Bahauddin Zakariya University (Multan), including Izmir (city of Turkey).
He is one of the most famous and reputed personalities in the field of art and has honored many words:
- Live portrait in watercolor, Coopera Art Gallery Lahore (October 2014)
- Live portrait in watercolor, Izmir, Turkey (May 2015)
- Live landscape painting in watercolor, Bagh-e-Jinnah, Lahore (2016)
- Live portrait in watercolor and workshop at Multan Arts College, Bahauddin Zakriya University Multan (March 2017)
- 1998 first prize award in group show at Sadequain Art Gallery Karachi
- 1999 first prize in drawing competition, “Moving Lines”, at Arts Council of Pakistan, Karachi
- 2015 first prize best watercolor spot-painting at Mohatta Palace Museum, Karachi
- 2017 special award watercolor painting in 31 annual exhibition of arts by Artist Association of Punjab at Alhamra arts council Lahore
Abbas Kamangar have paint many subjects of society and life, he is first Pakistan’s artist who made plien air/spot painting tour of 5 cities of Pakistan, Multan, Bahawalpur, Faisalabad, Lahore and Peshawar and made life/spot painting in these cities and now these days he is painting his most favorite subject that is sofism in which he is associated since 1996. He says regarding his affiliations with sofism that “there is love, peace and colors of friendship in these paintings. During the work on this subject I traveled and reached in an un-known world and these feelings penetrate through particular colors and brush strokes in my painting on the canvas. It can feel and see in my paintings.